The Secret to Fresh Breath
Bad breath is something we’ve all dealt with at one time or another; however, for some people, bad breath is a chronic problem. At Richmond Dental, most of our patients find that bad breath is embarrassing and can make them feel uncomfortable.
Wondering if you suffer from bad breath? Thoroughly wash your hands and then lick the back of your hand. Wait for about 30-60 seconds and then sniff your hand. If it doesn’t smell fresh, you may want to keep reading for some tips on how to freshen your breath!
How Bad Breath Starts
To stop bad breath, it is important to understand how bad breath starts in the first place. Here are some of the causes of bad breath:
- There is always bacteria present in the mouth; bacteria cover your gums, teeth and even live on your tongue. As bacteria overgrowth occurs, it begins to produce toxins that cause a foul odor.
- Using tobacco products of any kind can lead to bad breath.
- Certain stomach issues such as ulcers, GERD, and even low-carb diets can cause bad breath.
- The food we eat can have a direct impact on our breath; onions, garlic and other “pungent” foods can lead to foul-smelling breath.
Tips for Busting Bad Breath
Notice you often have bad breath? Fresher breath isn’t difficult to achieve with just a bit of work. Here are some tips for getting fresher breath:
- Brush or floss your teeth after each meal; if that isn’t possible due to your schedule, be sure to carry mouthwash or floss with you to use after meals. This can not only freshen breath, but also help get rid of food debris which can feed bacteria.
- Floss once a day to remove any trapped food or plaque; this can reduce food for odor-causing bacteria.
- Drink plenty of water each day; dry mouth can quickly lead to foul breath.
- If you suffer from gastrointestinal issues, ginger, mint and some other herbs can help ease your troubles.
- Avoid using ANY tobacco products.
- Eat a healthy diet of fresh fruits and vegetables.
Along with these lifestyle changes, it is important to schedule routine professional dental care. During your appointment at Richmond Dental, we can remove any debris and plaque buildup you might have missed.